How could the text be read and interpreted differently by two different readers? The news article titled "For women under 30, most births occur outside of marriage" was an article which highlights the phenomenon of non-marital births and single parenting within the United States. In news media, the information communicated can vary between each individual depending on the context of a reader and their ideologies. In this article, textual bias is evident to demonstrate the author's negative notions towards single parenting and having children before or without marriage. This is evident through the author's choice of diction of words with negative connotations such as illegitimacy and normal being used in the same sentence to show frustration towards the topic. An individual with a traditional ideology of having kids after marriage and opposed to the idea of single parenting would resonate with this text. On the contrary, individuals with a feminist ideology will rea...
MLK's intended audience through his speech " I have a dream" are the African- American community but more specifically those that are living through oppression, suffering from segregation and discrimination, and whom are living in poverty. MLK tries to persuade the African American Community to continue to fight even if the nation goes into turmoil and to only stop fighting once the black society has gained racial equality and justice. In addition, MLK tries to spread hope to his fellow African - Americans by intensifying their frustration and anger to provide a sense of empowerment, in the hopes of advocating and creating change in the American Society. MLK often uses metaphors and anaphoras to enrich his persuasion. His expressive choice of phrases such as " chains of discrimination" and "let freedom ring" are examples of rhetorical devices which were used throughout this speech. His style directly correlates to the racial tensions which occurred ...
My interests include playing many different sports but my favourite sport is soccer. I love listening to different styles of music especially rap, hip-hop and punk rock. My hobbies include collecting badges and patches. Language plays an important role in my life because my mother tongue is Tamil and often my parents talk to me in Tamil and since this is my mother tongue I feel that it is important to be able to speak it since it ties me more to my cultural heritage. Its also the easiest way for me to express myself and feelings. I think that it is important to study language because I belief that you should have a better understanding of the language you are speaking and because language is the most common and widespread form of communication and yet I personally don't know much about how important and powerful language can be. I haven't felt excluded due to language barriers because even in Malaysia I was still speaking English with my parents and went to an English me...
Comments
Post a Comment