Rolling with Bob Marley


May 30th 1978

On December 3rd, 1976, Bob Marley was shot two days prior the “Smile Jamaica” concert, allegedly motivated by political views. Despite this mishap, Bob still performed at the concert and told the crowd The people who are trying to make this world worse aren’t taking a day off”. “How can I”?

Last month, Bob performed at the “One Love Peace Concert” where he managed to unify the two leaders of both factions to embrace on stage.  


Bob’s music tends to stem from political tensions, social injustice and black roots however he tries to advocate change in a more subtle and relaxed way rather than forcing change through anger and frustration.


Suryha Maniraj (SM): Why did you still perform at the “Smile Jamaica” concert despite rumors of the assassination attempt supposedly being politically motivated?

Bob Marley (BM): I wanted to calm the tension between powers and like I said to the crowd at Smile Jamaica, people who are trying to make this world worse aren’t taking a day off so how can I take a day of to.

SM: People regard you as a political individual.  Did you want to be recognized as a political individual and if not, how do you take it?

BM: I don’t think it was my intention to be a politician. I am for the people. People look at me as a political individual but I don’t care for politics but I care about love and peace so if I have to be looked at as a politician then I will go ahead with it because peace is the best thing even if I am targeted.


SM: Why are you so adamant about helping the people? What motivated you to help?

BM: I try to help people because of my childhood. I grew up in a bad and dangerous part of Jamaica so my childhood is what made me want to lead and inspire people. I help my community with community projects and give my money to the people to make Jamaica and the world a better place to live.

SM: What does music mean to you?

BM: Uh... music is my life. After I moved to Trenchtown in Kingston I started to play music and I saw music as a way to escape poverty but I also saw it as a way for change. I express my feelings through music. I try to help my people, my community but my music lets me help reach out to more people around the world.

SM: How is your music style different from other artists who try to advocate change and why is this important to you?

BM: My music has a more relaxed vibe because of the reggae genre. I try to show more love, peace, equality and spirituality in my songs. I think other artists use issues that they see and experience and turn it into rage to try to make change but in my songs, I try to show love even among the pain and suffering. This I think is based on my Rastafari beliefs. I think with the political problems going on my song lyrics and style help me to show a more neutral point on the issues going on and I think this is important uh because since one of the main problems in Jamaica is political, I think this style of music can sink with everyone.

Interviewing the king of reggae was very interesting. He is very down to earth but through his actions, he is seen as a very influential person from the political parties but from the people’s perspectives he is looked at as a Jah (God).  









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MLK-Speech

Single Parents and Non-Marital Births